Hyundai has formally verified rumors that have been flying all-around considering that November. It has acquired a managing desire in robotics business Boston Dynamics. 

Beneath the phrases of the arrangement, Hyundai will maintain an about 80 percent stake in Boston Dynamics, when former proprietor SoftBank will keep the remaining 20 percent. The offer values Boston Dynamics at $1.1 billion.

“The deal arrived as Hyundai Motor Group envisions the transformation of human lifetime by combining globe-top robotics technologies with its mobility knowledge,” Hyundai reported in a push launch Friday. 

Boston Dynamics, best recognized to many persons for its cellular robot pet dog Location, as effectively as movies of humanoid robots executing scarily dextrous stunts, also produces the Manage, a robot designed for transferring containers in warehouses, as perfectly as Choose, a robotic, AI-increased answer for depalletizing. 

The firm was founded as a spin-off from the Massachusetts Institute of Know-how. It was acquired by Google X, a subsidiary of Google’s mother or father business Alphabet, in 2013, which offered it to SoftBank in 2017. 

Hyundai is no stranger to the field possibly, with investments in autonomous driving, wise factories, AI, and robotics. Items produced by its robotics arm, Hyundai Robotics, involve a selection of static, industrial robots, so there’s loads of house for synergy with Boston Dynamics, which largely specializes in cell robots. 

Hyundai also noted that Boston Dynamics is based in Boston and Silicon Valley, “which is beneficial to sourcing crucial robotics abilities and collaborating with proficient partners.”